Travel with Your Pet

If you plan to travel with your pet, please contact us as soon as possible.

There are very specific requirements for most destinations, and a few are quite involved.

Domestic travel via airline typically requires a basic health certificate completed within the prior 30 days. Either Dr. Potenza, Dr. Schaefler or Dr. Boggess can perform an examination and provide that certificate for you.

International travel can be much more complicated and every country is different. Dr. Schaefler is an accredited USDA veterinarian and specializes in understanding the requirements of different destinations so your pet can easily "trot the globe" with you. As soon as you begin planning to take your pet abroad, please contact us so Dr. Schaefler can review for you the current regulations, tests and inspections required.

Car travel typically requires no health certification, but remember to schedule appropriate rest stops and keep water available for your pet. If your pet gets anxious or nauseous while on car rides, there are medications that can help. Plan ahead to have an exam with one of our doctors so they can determine which medication can be most effective for your situation.

For all travel you should always have your pet's basic medical chart in case an emergency arises. You can call or email us and we will send it to you. You can also download a vaccination certificate directly from your PetSites website.

Newsletter Signup

Sign up to receive updates

New Canaan Veterinary Hospital